We Can Help!
Behavioral problems can be dangerous, frustrating and can negatively impact quality of life for the pet as well as for the owner. The Animal Behavior Clinic addresses canine and feline behavior problems such as:
- Aggression to People or Animals
- Fear Issues
- Separation Anxiety
- Noise Phobias
- House Soiling
- Urine Marking
- Compulsive Behaviors
- Excessive Vocalization
- Attention Seeking
- Unruly Behavior
- Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome
- Inappropriate Scratching by Cats
- And More!
The Animal Behavior Clinic provides consultations for canine and feline behavioral problems. Initial assessments with the pet(s) and owner(s) generally last 45-75 minutes and involve collecting historical information, observing the pet(s), establishing a diagnosis, basic management and safety guidelines, and an outline of what treatment is likely to include. When appropriate, diagnostic testing will be recommended and some procedures can be performed during your pet’s appointment at our facility for your convenience.
If you elect to pursue treatment, a treatment consultation will be scheduled within 1-2 weeks of your pet’s assessment. During this consultation, recommendations will be provided for specific management strategies, behavior modification exercises, and if indicated by the diagnosis, drug therapy, the use of supplements, diet changes, or adjunctive therapies may also be prescribed. Follow-up communication is provided at no additional charge to assist in implementing the treatment recommendations that are provided to you; when additional recommendations are indicated, a phone or in-person recheck may be required.
Office appointments are offered at our clinics in Portland and Bend, Oregon. Home visits are offered within a 15-mile radius of each clinic’s address. Home visits are strongly recommended for feline patients whenever possible.
Consultations are currently provided at our Portland Office (809 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97202, inside Rose City Veterinary Hospital) and our Bend Office (19550 Amber Meadow Dr, Bend, OR 97702, inside Brookswood Animal Clinic). All communication/mail is routed through our Portland location. See below for our fees and the comprehensive list of services available in these areas.
OUR SERVICES & FEES
BEHAVIORAL CONSULTATIONS – $300.00/hour
All consultations include a written summary of information and recommendations covered, provided to both client and referring veterinarian. Diagnostic & treatment appointments may be combined for long-distance clients.
- Diagnostic assessment (new patients) – includes behavioral assessment, diagnosis, risk assessment, and basic management plan (avg. length 45min – 1.5hrs)
- Treatment consultation & plan – to follow a diagnostic appointment; includes comprehensive plan for management & safety, behavior modification strategies, and medication and/or medical testing recommendations, when appropriate (avg. length 45min – 1.5hrs)
- Recheck assessment – follow-up recommendations and/or adjustments to existing treatment plans. May be conducted in-person or by phone, when applicable. Annual in-person exam required to continue treatment beyond one year (avg. length 30-60min)
OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY OUR DVMs
- House Calls – any behavioral consultation may take place at a client’s home if within a 15-mile radius of our clinic. $120 DVM travel fee per appointment.
- Veterinary Desensitization Sessions – one-on-one behavior modification sessions in-office with gradual desensitization to veterinary handling and procedures. Available to current patients only. $60/session (20min)
- Vet-to-Vet Consultations – Consults are conducted with an attending veterinarian via phone to discuss possible treatment and/or medication strategies for their cases. Does not include a written report or an evaluation of patient documents or records. Veterinarian makes final decisions on implementing recommendations given by Dr. Pachel. Fee is charged directly to veterinary clinic. Availability for v2v consults is typically in the same week as requested, making this an ideal option for urgent cases. $60/15min
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE PORTLAND METRO AREA
Behavior Modification Sessions with an ABC trainer – $140/hr
- One-on-one behavior modification sessions, in-office or offsite/at clients’ residence
- Travel included within a 15-mile radius of our office. Additional distance may be approved at $1/mile each way
- Available to current patients only.
ADDITIONAL PAYMENT DETAILS
- A cancellation fee may be charged on appointments cancelled with less than 72 hours’ notice. Please review our Cancellation Policy on our FAQs page for details.
- A non-refundable reservation fee in the amount of $150 will be collected at the time of scheduling a new patient appointment. Please see the Reservation Fee Requirements on our FAQs page for details on this fee and its application to your appointment cost.
- Additional fees will apply for any diagnostic testing, medications or products.
- The remainder of payment (any fees or time not covered by the reservation fee) is due at time of service.
- Cash, Checks, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and CareCredit are accepted.