Animal Trainer Position Available
Animal Behavior Clinic
Company: The Animal Behavior Clinic, LLC (ABC) is a veterinary behavioral referral practice that has been in operation in Portland since 1997. It is the only behavioral practice in Oregon that offers behavior assessments provided by a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist. Assessments on dogs and cats are conducted for a wide variety of behavior problems including aggression, anxiety disorders, noise phobias, social behavior problems, compulsive disorders, and behavior problems occurring secondary to medical problems. Patient assessments include a discussion of diagnostic testing recommendations (when indicated), information specific to the pet’s diagnosis or behavior patterns, risk assessment (when safety concerns are present), and possible treatment options including management strategies, use of tools, medication or nutrition recommendations, and behavior modification exercises.
Job Description: As a trainer employed by ABC, you will help clients implement the training exercises outlined in their treatment plans, as well as appropriately influence the direction and course of treatment for our patients through hands-on training. The majority of training will occur in client homes or other “on-site” locations when needed, and you will have significant flexibility in creating your own schedule on a daily and weekly basis. Additional tasks will include: reviewing records and history on patients prior to sessions, contributing to social media and client education materials, and creating detailed reports after each behavior modification session. You will be working alongside our Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist as well as our existing team members to create efficient and well-balanced treatment for a wide range of behavior cases. Your work will enable ABC to provide ongoing support to our clients and direct instruction on recommendations and techniques outlined in their treatment plans.
- This is a full time position (expectation of working an average of 37.5 hours per week).
- Compensation package is negotiable based on experience – package includes base pay for all hours worked with “premium pay” for time spent within behavior modification sessions.
- Compensation package to include medical benefits, Portland paid sick leave, continuing education stipend, mileage reimbursement.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Must be able to conduct self professionally and work productively/respectfully within multi-person team.
- Must be able to keep accurate/detailed notes about observations and patient progress within behavior modification sessions.
- Must have the ability to work within bounds of established treatment plan but will have flexibility to be creative and to have input on the direction and course of treatment
- Must have experience with advanced behavior modification tools and techniques including the use of desensitization and counterconditioning.
- Training credentials (CPDT-KA/KSA, KPA CTP, etc.) are recommended/beneficial but not required for application.
- Experience with behavior modification of cats is desired but not required (position will include in-home behavior modifications sessions with cats, ABC will provide training for employee if needed)
How To Apply: Application, including all requested materials, must be submitted digitally/electronically (paper/hard copies not accepted) to: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through July 15 or until a suitable candidate is identified. Please contact us at the email provided above if you are interested in the position and the deadline has already passed to verify whether the position has been filled.
- Required materials: Cover letter (CL), curriculum vitae (CV) including references, video clips used to assess training and coaching skills (see next point)
- Video: clip or link to video to be sent at same time as submission of CL/CV, minimum of 3 minutes / maximum of 5 minutes in length, clip should demonstrate 1) hands-on training of a dog or cat a skill/technique of candidate’s choosing, and 2) active coaching of a client to perform skill or exercise. Video must show applicant, animal, and client, and must include audio of sufficient quality that it can be evaluated.
- Desired applicants will be interviewed in person or by phone (if applicant is from outside immediate travel area) and will be required to spend time in the clinic as part of a “working interview” before job offer is made.